Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you make numbered pages? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonah47

Technical User
Jul 1, 2007
GB
Ok i'll try to explain this as best i can.

I'm currently designing my first web page. I have done this by using tables in Dreamweaver.
The content of these tables needs to updated daily with new articles, so i need to create page numbers for my site to backlog all the old articles.
Just as it is on this site with new posts.
ie:- previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next etc..

Is there an easy way to do this?
Also, can i do it so that when i add my latest article at the top of my table, all my other articles will shift down accordingly?

My main page displays the 15 latest news stories. When i add my next story i still only want 15 stories displayed and the oldest one to move onto page 2.

I hope you get the idea.

Thanks

The pages are being created by hand.
I'm adding maybe three new articles a day to my table
I've made a table with fifteen rows.

Do i have to manually move each article down if i add a new one to the top.
Ideally, when i add my latest article i want all the others to move down automatically.
Is there a line of code that will make this happen?

This could get quite long winded, if for example i have 20 pages each with 15 articles on.

Is there anything i can do that will make this happen automatically?

Can i get it so that it operates like this site where the latest post goes to the top and pushes all the ones after it down?

I want a backlog of articles arranged in date order.
ie:- the most recent first.

There is, however it will need your site pages converting into either a database driven format or some server side system that can read text files each containing one article / post and then stream the text out to a page for display in any order you choose.

In short, CMS/Blog/Forum style code.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

would it not be possible to achieve this by using the "sort table" function in Dreamweaver and getting it to arrange it numerically?
I a bit of a beginner on these matters.

Thanks for all your help so far.

Much appreciated.

No idea on that, I don't use DW to write code for me.

Quite honestly you are creating yourself work.
If you have a host sorted out, see what server side code and database they support and download a simple CMS or "Blog" script to put your articles into.

It will benefit you in the long run simply because as your site grows you won't have a major upgrade issue for some reasonable time. By which you will have learned enough to know how to upgrade.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

jonah47, you're asking for trouble if you want DW to do this. Think long term in sense that if any page in the middle needs to be deleted or added (like a NEW page between 7 and 8, making previous 8 the NEW 9, and so forth).

What Chris suggested would be the most optimum way. Convert the pages to a dB driven format.

Although, another possible way might be to use js to read the file name in a sequential order and load the page numbers that way. But that might mean having to name the files 1.html, 2.html, 3.html, etc.

Ask in the JS forum for help on this...if this is even possible.

Thanks for your advice guys.
However, I'm pretty new to the web design world.
What steps do i take to create a database for this info?

Will there be something on my server hosting page to enable me to do this?
I think i'm beginning to understand what you mean...
I can set up a scripture like a blog, where new post are automatically added to the top.
Are these programs hard to set up?

If the explanation is too complex, please point me in the direction of the appropriate forum.

Thanks for your time guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back