Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you make a boot disk for Windows 2000 Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mundell

IS-IT--Management
Jul 11, 2000
US
Was wondering if anyone knows how to make a boot disk for Windows 2000 Pro I need to start with a clean install and can't boot off of cd-rom so need a disk to get me to setup.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks..<br><br>Robb

This is straght from Mocrosoft's site. hope it helps.<br><br>Creating Setup Startup Disks <br>If you don't have the Setup startup disks, you can create them. The startup disks are used to start Setup if you can't start Setup from your hard drive. <br><br>Note Setup startup disks contain different information than the Emergency Repair Disk. <br><br>For more information, see &quot;Starting and Recovering Your System&quot; in Chapter 5. <br><br>To create Setup startup disks:<br>Insert a blank, formatted disk into the floppy disk drive, and insert the Windows 2000 Professional CD into the CD-ROM drive. <br>You need four blank, 1.44 MB formatted 3.5-inch disks. Label them &quot;Setup Disk 1,&quot; &quot;Setup Disk 2,&quot; and so on. <br><br>Click Start, and then click Run. <br>At the prompt, type the following command, replacing d with the letter of your CD-ROM drive and a with the letter of your floppy disk drive. <br>d:\bootdisk\Makeboot.exe a: <br><br>Follow the instructions that appear.

Why wouldn't microsoft make that a part of the software sales package? Don't they include any necessary startup information? It's only a matter of time before they will be selling a blank disk. I guess they are just preparing you for downloading on-line in the future.

leart3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back