Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you make a A1000 Disk Array mountable ?? (SUN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdshark

IS-IT--Management
Feb 26, 2001
US
I have a A1000 Disk array raid level 0 with 3 drives acting as one. First off is the logical device path /dev/rdsk/c1t5d0s0 or /dev/dsk/c1t5d0s0 ???

I edited the /etc/vfstab to mount the drives at boot on /space, but nothing happens. Do I need to : newfs /dev/dsk/c1t5d0s0 on the Disk array ?? I did try that at first but said that the directory or path was not found. What am I doing wrong here ??
I just want the drives on the array to be available for space.
Any help ???
Thanks !

Ok first things first run format and select c1t5d0 then partition then print .. This will show you how your disk is formatted. If you need to change it at the partition> prompt type 0 then fill in the blanks .. ie

Enter partition id tag[unassigned]: usr
Enter partition permission flags[wm]: wm
Enter new starting cyl[0]: 0
Enter partition size[0b, 0c, 0.00mb, 0.00gb]: 100mb

type print again to make sure no cylinders overlap .. Then label to write the info .. (sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious)

After that you'll need to newfs the raw device so

newfs /dev/rdsk/c1t5d0s0

Tnen mkdir /space (if you haven't already) and mount it

mount /dev/dsk/c1t5d0s0 /space ...

Then just put the info in your vfstab...

Oh the rdsk device is the raw device .. ie writing straight to disk. The dsk device is the formatted device .. ie going through filesystem buffers

Hope thats of some use

Chris,

I used the Solaris disk suite to make all three disk as one.
Do I need to lable it or has that already been done with the disk suite ?

Right thats getting a bit more complicated .. Disksuite creates metadevices out of the pieces you give it .. ie

c1t5d0s0 = 100mb
c1t5d1s0 = 100mb
c1t5d2s0 = 100mb

So you've striped accross all 3 to make 1 300mb partition...So before you start you'll need to create the 3 partitions using format ( if they don't exist ) .. TO create the metadevice you have run something like

metainit d10 1 3 c1t5d0s0 c1t5d1s0 c1t5d2s0

So after that you need to refer to this device by the metadevice name (otherwise you'll write straight to the disk).....

Anyway using this example you'd then need to newfs the metadevice...

newfs /dev/md/rdsk/d10

Then mount it

mount /dev/md/dsk/d10 /space

For full info on SDS check out the Solstice Disksuite User Guide on
hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back