Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you load balance iscsi MPIO across host interfaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forbsy

MIS
Apr 16, 2002
CA
I'm running RHEL4 update 4. I've installed the iscsi-initiator-utils rpm (4.0.3.0-4), device-mapper rpm (1.02.07-4.0.RHEL4) and device-mapper-multipath-0.4.5-21.RHEL4 rpm. I've got iSCSI MPIO working fine between by Linux host and Netapp storage array.
My question - Is it possible to add an additional GbE interface on my host and acheive MPIO across multiple interfaces on the host? Presently, I have a single host GbE interface handling the MPIO. I know the Microsoft iSCSI software initiator supports multiple interfaces. Does the Linux initiator also support?
If I cannot get improved throughput by introducing an additional interface, what about failover/redundency? How would I configure that second interface to be a standy interface incase the primary failed? Normally, this is easy enough with nic teaming, but I'm not sure MPIO supports teaming.

Thanks

I have only used FC based arrays so I can't say. Since you are using a software based initiator I take it you are not using iSCSI HBAs (essentially NICs which have the initiator built-in) which come with management software that would allow you to set this up.

Right. It's the Linux Red Hat software iscsi initiator and MPIO packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back