Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANI007

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2004
GB
Dear Friends,
I had a question for you. i had CREATED a network drive on WinNT4.0 server, after maping the share name to some drive letter,from the existing hard drive partion. and i had created another share name on the same hard drive partition and mapped it to another drive letter available to create another network drive. when i save any data/file on the frist network drive created from the first share name, it's been replicated to another network drive, as both the network drives share names belongs to the same hard drive partition.i want to limit the usage/memory of each network drive and the data should not be replicated on either of the drives.Any sugestion will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
REDDY

I'm sorry but I don't undertand what you've done - can you explain some more please. You've created 2 shares in the same partition (on the NT server machine?) and have mapped drives to these (on the workstations in the domain?). Are the 2 shares to different local drives/folders? If they're to the same folder/drive - that would explain what i think is your problem.

And when you save to one mapped drive - its updating the other? (is this correct?)

Thanks for your reply.both the share names created on the server were maped to different drive on the server to see them as network drives.example:-first share name:abc created on partition disk(D:) was mapped to drive letter:V on server name:svrmr; and the second share name:def, created on the same partition drive(D:) was mapped to drive letter:I on same server:svrmr.now i observed that the content on both the network drives (I and V) were same. i hope this will cler everything.

That sounds like what I suggested - I and V are mapped to the same area. If I've got this right:-

Server1 has a partition which is D: drive locally. On this machine you have created 2 shares to this partition - one called abc, the other def - so

D: = \server1\abc and D: = \server1\def

On server2 (svrmr), you have mapped

V: = \server1\abc
I: = \server1\def

ie, these mappings are to the same area on server1.

What are you actually trying to do?

thanks for your patiance.here i had mapped to V and I of server1, which is same as server1.in other words i don't have server1 and it's just server name:svrmr and not server1.my intention is creating two diffrent networkdrives on partition drive(D:) and want to distribute the total space available between these two drives. please advise you could do this?i appreciate your step by step approach explanation.
regards
reddy.

I don't think you can do this. You could create 2 folders on the D: drive, share one as abc, the other as def and map I to abc, V to def - but there is not control over space distribution (ie, both folders would take up available space in the partitions as you add files/folders to them).

What about splitting the partition into 2 partitions (you haven't said what the drive setup is on the server, but you can have up to 4 primary partitions on any drive or 3 primary and 1 extended - so if the D: drive is the second of 2 partitions you could do this. You could make the new partitions both primary or both logical drives in an extended partition. I wouldn't advise doing this if D: is your system partition.

If the D: drive has data already on it, you will either need to copy this before you remove it to replace with 2 new partitions or use a partitioning tool (eg, Acronis Partition Expert) to manipulate the partition with data in place. I'd recommend just backing up and restoring existing data (if necessary) if you decide this is a good idea.

You could always make a it into 1 volume and then share the volume. Its slow and unstable, but it will do what you want I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back