Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you like the BCM50??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajfischer

Instructor
Jan 27, 2005
US
We are looking at bringing in a number of BCM50 systems into are Telecom program for students to train on....any feedback...good, bad, ugly??

Thanks!!!

Wrong forum, but a great system. We have several BCM's networked to a Option 81 through out the county. They make it almost too easy for the tech working on them once configured. Very reliable.

To quote the great Peter Griffin. Not a fan...

My opinion is that they are to patch intensive and if the user is going to maintain/administer the BCM you tend to be "married" to it for some time.

I can't comment about BCMs but we have deployed about 5 SRG50s/SRG200s with great success. The SRGs are networked with multiple Nortel Succession 4.5 Call Servers providing WAN redundancy and E911 local dialing. The SRG and BCMs use the same hardware with different software and keycodes.

If your deploying IP phones at a remote site the SRG provides local dial tone (for E911) and WAN fail over/redundancy should the remote site get disconnected from the main Call Server.

Cheers!

Actually the s/w on a SRG and BCM are the same. The difference is the SRG keycode gives u a new SRG prompt and prevents u from using digital sets and the BCM/SRG Callpilot.

BCM50 is a great box, lots of features in a small package. Some folks are not happy with them in a blended environment with the CS 1000s, but that is where they try to cram 10lbs. in a 5 lbs. bag.

Patching has gotten much better on them as well.

911Guru
E911 FAQs are located at:

I have 1 BCM50 in my inventory. It is at a remote office with 2 users, and has worked like a champ for about 2 years with no service issues. I have 12 channels off a PRI for trunking, and am very happy with the system's performance.

I have not had to install any additional patches since the initial install. I know I am behind on patches, but the system is running clean, and this office is kind of in a remote area, so I don't get to visit it often.

The rest of my inventory consists of 9 networked CS1000's (5 CS1000e's, 3 CS1000s's, and 1 CS1000M cabinet) and 10 other BCMs (a combination of 1000's, 400's, and 1 200) running software from 3.6 to 4.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back