Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you launch local applications using HTML/XHTML?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaidomac

Technical User
Oct 23, 2004
US
I'm building an intranet portal for my company and I want to have links to launch applications on individual user's computers, such as the calculator, database app, etc. How do I do this using either HTML or XHTML, through Internet Explorer?

Just create hyperlinks to them.

Code:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\calc.exe

This will cause a security warning... as it should really.
But clicking "Run" will launch the calculator

Foamcow Heavy Industries - Web design and ranting
Target Marketing Communications - Advertising, Direct Marketing and Public Relations
I wonder what possesses people to make those animated gifs. Do you just get up in the morning and think, "You know what web design r

Yeah, but with IE6 I get two popup windows that ask me to click Run. A little annoying as we work with several programs on a daily basis. Is there a way of lowering the security settings on each computer to allow the programs to run, without comprimising security for Internet access?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back