Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you keep track of backups for tape library system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 21, 2003
US
I use an excel spreadsheet. My tape library has 2 drives in it. I have 30 servers to backup on the weekend and I can run them all in one huge job for lengthy reasons. So I have like say 10 jobs. Some of them stop dbs and so I can't just queue them all up and let them run after each other.

So what I do is periodically track how long each backup takes to finish on average and stagger the backups to start about when the previous one finishes. This is difficult to keep track off. So I use the excel spreadsheet and have created a graphical chart that show each backup as a bar and etc.

This is difficult to explain, but excel is clearly not the right tool for doing this. I'm wondering if anyone else has to schedule and keep track of jobs like this and how you do it and what 3rd party app you use (if any).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back