Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you install & configure MSDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tibs

Technical User
Sep 3, 2002
GB
I've been trying for the last two weeks to install MSDE2000 locally so that I can develop our production application at home, and I seem to be going round in circles. Could anyone please help with a general step by step or a point in the right direction. I've followed all of the Microsoft knowledgebase links but basically it will not allow me to logon to the production database.

Specs:
SQL Server 2000 on Win2k server at work
MSDE2000 on win2k laptop
SQL Authentication

I'm sure I've justed missed something simple as I seem to have tried everything else. Hope someone can help. TIA

Are you getting any error messages? Do get messages when running setup or after setup completes? Has setup completed successfully?

If setup completed, are you sure that MSDE is running? Open the MS SQL Server or MSDE program group and start the service manager. Does it show MSDE as running?

If MSDE is running, how are you trying to connect? What program are you using? When you mention production database, do you mean a database on the server or a copy of the databse on the laptop. Has the database been attahced to the MSDE instance? If you want to get the best answer for your question read faq183-874 and faq183-3179.
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
SQL Server Page:

Thanks Terry for your reply, however last night I installed client tools off the SQL Server disk and by altering the settings I needed I got it to work (it beats using OSQL). I originally installed MSDE off my Office XP disk so did'nt have this luxury.
I think the problem was to do with authentication, but I can't be sure since I'd altered that many settings I'm not sure what I had already set up with OSQL.
I've now tried installing it on my bosses laptop and I have a few problems, but I'm sure I can solve it now and work out where I went wrong at the same time.
I remember the time when I loved the command prompt, alas Windows GUI seems to have changed me. Never mind, I got there in the end, now where's that C prompt again. :)
Thanks again
Ivan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back