Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you get two routers on a network at the same time? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drussum

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
US
I have a LAN, ATTBI cable modem in one office with a router that is dhcp on the lan and wan side. I then am trying to set up another network in another adjacent building. I have a linksys cable dsl router and a hub in that building. I am not sure which port to use, uplink,wan. I am connected and working in the building with the modem and router. The modem is going to the WAN port on the router and the uplink is going to a hub and all is well. The problem is with the other router in the other building. I ran a cat5 between buildings and hooked up to the WAN port on the new router but on the router in the main office I can only plug it in one of the ports 1-4 on the router. there is only one WAN port and it is already used.

any ideas how to hook it up??

My thought is that ou do not need both modems. If you have DSL in one building and a cable m,odem in another and want both of them to be on the same network, then you should get rid of one or the other. After that, the process is quite easy, as follows:

A. Beginning from the modem: link the modem port to the WAN port on the router R1 in building 1.
B. Run Cat5 from any three of the four unused ports on router R1 to your hub (although I would recommend changing to a switch for improved speed).
C. Run Cat5 from one of the ports on router R1 in building 1 to the Uplink port on router R2 in building 2. Do not plug anything into the WAN port on router R2, or you will create a network gateway issue.

That's all there is to it, unless you need to segment your networks. I'm going on the basis of what I interpret you as saying about your setup. You can control all (external) port access (done in the advanced settings area of your cable/DSL router) for the entire network. As such, Port 80 should stay open for Internet traffic, and leave ports 25 and 110 open only if you run a mail server, port 53 for FTP, etc... Other than that, all traffic is internal.

Be sure to pick a single gateway address on the router, and point all client PCs in both buildings to that single gateway address. Examples of common gateweay addresses used on these routers are 192.168.1.1, 192.168.123.254, etc. You may also use the "ten net" (10.10.1.1 or 10.10.0.1) as a gateway, but it would pay you to go around and check all client PCs to see if they have ONLY this gateway address. If you have more advanced needs, such as multiple internal gateways, you may require a router that has more functionality.

Hope this helps!

None of the CAT5 cables are longer than 100m (300 feet) are they? If so, you'll need a repeater.

Thanks for the help. I will look into the repeater as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back