Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you get Access to recognize duplicate records upon entry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyb

Technical User
Sep 8, 2000
US
I am creating a database and need to be notified when a record is entered that is a duplicate (from a form). I can't make this partiular field the key field. Any advice on how to get notified of a duplicate record would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. [sig][/sig]

If the user is working on a form bound to the table, you could use the Form_before_update event to test the value you need to prevent. If the test fails, cancel the update event of the form. If you need more help, just post a reply. [sig]<p>John A. Gilman<br><a href=mailto:gms@uslink.net>gms@uslink.net</a><br>[/sig]

You don't have to make a field the key field to put a uniqueness constraint on it. [sig][/sig]

How would I go about doing this?

Let me clarify a little exactly what I am doing. I will be entering information on railcars on a form. If I am entering data on 100 cars, all but one field will be the same (the Unit Number). I am in the process of creating a form that will allow me to enter all the duplicate data on the form as well as a range of unit numbers so access will create the said range with the duplicate data (so I won't have to enter all 100 cars individually).

After the cars (in the range) have been entered, the unit numbers will need to be married to a field called Mark (one of the duplicate fields). The two fields TOGETHER need to be a unique identifier. I will of course have a seperate field for both Mark and UnitNo (called Mark&UnitNo). The question is, how do I get Access to notify me each time a Mark&UnitNo is duplicated? [sig][/sig]

You could add a primary key to the TWO fields, then Access will only allow unique combination.

Or you could search the recordset for field1 = x and field2 = y before entering the record. Sort of like this.

dim db as database
dim rec as recordset
set db = opndatabase(yourDBName)
set rec = yourDB.Opendatabase(yourtable)
rec.findfirst (&quot;field1 = x and field2 = y&quot;)
if rec.nomatch then' can add the record
rec.add
rec!field1 = x
rec!field2 = y
rec.update
else
msgbox(&quot;Duplicate&quot;)
endif
rec.close
set rec = nothing
db.close
set db = nothing
[sig][/sig]

One method I like to use is populating a recordset with a SQL query on the fields that I want to find a duplicate on. Then I check the recordset's RecordCount property, to see if it's 0 or greater than 0. (without moving to a different record, the record count will only be 1 if there's more than one record. If you try moving, and there are no records however, you will get an error.

' Assume tbl1 is the table I'm searching for records in.
' The fields I'm searching for duplicate in are fld1 and fld2.
' The corresponding controls on the form are txtFld1 and txtFld2

Dim dbs as Database
Dim rst as Recordset
Set dbs = CurrentDb
Set rst = dbs.OpenRecordset(&quot;SELECT * FROM tbl1 WHERE (([tbl1].[fld1]) = '&quot; _
& Me.txtFld1.Value & &quot;) AND (([tbl1].[fld2]) = '&quot; & Me.txtFld2.Value & &quot;);&quot;)

If rst.RecordCount > 0 Then ' this is a duplicate entry
' Enter code here
Else ' This is not a duplicate entry
' Enter code here
End If

Set rst = Nothing
Set dbs = Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back