Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you get a total # of users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookem1994

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
US
I am brand spanking new to this platform and got asked to provide some data with no prior experience to this platform. I know there has to be a simple way to get a count of users. I can list them but there are too many to count. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have Security 3000 on the system too, so a count on eith MPE side or Sec3K would be fine.
Thanks - David

At the MPE prompt, do a SHOWJOB. This will show you the job and sessions limits, plus the number of jobs and sessions logged on. Hope this what your looking for.

As of MPE/IX 6.0, a number of CI commands allow for a 'JOB=' parameter. Ergo, you can do a SHOWJOB JOB=@S for a smaller listing of logged on users. If you'd like to get even fancier, you could write a command file that saves the listing to a file, save it, do a little trimming (the file would keep a number of options, such as date, time, jobs displayed, etc.) and use WC.HPBIN.SYS to take a count.

to; hookem1994 (TechnicalUser)

Since you have security/3000 you can
":RUM MAIN.PUB.VESOFT,LISTUSERS"
It will ask if you wish to print to terminal or lp.
You can defer printing and print to lp. Copy the file to an
Excel spread sheet and remove the excess headers, etc...and get a count of users from there.

If you're interested simply in the number of MPE users defined in the directory (e.g. MANAGER.SYS is one user), try this (as MANAGER.SYS):

:listuser @.@,x;format=brief
:listf x,2
:pURGE X

The number of lines in file X is the number of users.

If you're interested in the maximum number of online users permitted by your license, you can type:

:showvar hpuserlimit

The concept of a user in Security/3000 is a bit strange and counting them doesn't make sense on many systems (e.g. my system has multiple entries for the same "real" user: TJC,MGR.@ and TJC,PGM.@). If you wish to count those entries somehow, use the listuser command in security (e.g. inside of mpex type %sec listuser > x). You can then edit the file x, remove header information and other unwanted lines, renumber the file, list the last line, and voila! you know how many users there are in the Security User DB.

Regards.

Glenn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back