Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you disable Windows2k Login without disabling Novell Login????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDAVIS

MIS
Jul 30, 2001
US
I have tried the AutoAdminLogon, but I need the Novell login box to show up on a Win2k machine. Any help?

You can't really as a user has to log into both the local workstation and NetWare. If you don't have ZENworks, you could always enable AutoAdminLogon but have a shortcut in the Startup folder that runs the Novell Client when the workstation logs in? -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Are you asking to autologin into Novell, but manual log in to the win2k workstation? If so, Check this out.

The Ultimate AutoAdminLogon Document for Novell Clients for Windows NT/2000/XP - TID10052847

It is the Ultimate! [thumbsup]

JON

I want to autologin to WIN2K, but not into Novell.

Read that TID(from Novell Support). It will show how to do any combination. Including Manual login to Novell with Autologin to Win2k.

JON

Nothing in that Novell TID worked the way I wanted it to. We are using Windows 2000 PCs and Novell for the network. The Win2K PCs do not login to a domain for Win 2k. I tried the few suggestions in the TID and it locked me out of Windows Completely.

Hmm... I am using that TID here at work. We hav win2k boxes in the back room that we have it autologon locally to the workstation, but manually logon to Novell. Double check the settings you used.

JON

I'm not sure I understand your situation exactly, but here's my situation. We use Netware 5.1 with Windows 2k pro workstations, no Windows server. There may be other ways, but here is how I set up our logins. You can't disable the w2k login, so I make it match. Make sure the PC User Name is exactly the same as the NDS User name - probably a good idea anyway. In the Novell Client Properties, under the Location Profiles tab, select your Location Profile - I use Default since I need no others. Click Properties - there are 2 pulldowns - I leave the default values (Login Service / Default), and go to Properties. Under the Windows tab, make sure the Local Username is blank, so it will take on the username that is typed in at login. I also uncheck the Save Profile after Successful Login box, otherwise the last login name will be put into the box we just emptied - a minor problem if a different user logs on. And of course, the passwords have to be the same or the Windows login will pop up after the Netware login. This becomes very useful, since I can set the windows password to never expire, and control password change requirements through Netware. When the Netware password change occurs, the user updates it and the Windows password together in one step. It's probably a good idea to make sure your users understand that there are two logins going on here, because they will encounter the w2k login from time to time, and they tend to freak out over usually invisible things suddenly popping up and asking them for passwords. There is also something under the Client Properties called Single Sign-On. I hate to admit it, but I have no idea what it is, but I bet it would be a good idea to look into it. It might be exactly what we are both looking for. Also, the TID recommended above sounds promising. It has a happy face and a thumbs up next to it, so it's guaranteed to satisfy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back