Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you disable/stop Pervasive SQL in NetWare 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanl

ISP
Aug 6, 2001
US
Pervasive SQL comflicts with Peachtree Accounting 2004. I need to turn off the communication component, or the whole database.

Does anyone know how that is done? I checked the autoexec.ncf but didn't see anything that seemed to start the SQL.

bstart.ncf is what loads it up. Pervasive SQL = Btrieve.

I haven't dug to deep into it, but there are NetWare programs that need to use this database. Mainly backup software, but I think also the NWConfig and Inetcfg utilties use Btrieve modules. Look for the BTI.CFG and edit that file. Ask the Btrieve forum for further help.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [rainbow]
CNE Network+ Experience
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple - Bay Area, CA

Previous versions of Netware relied very heavily on the btreive engine. By disabling it you will severely cripple the ability to use certain utilities. Not sure about NetWare 6, but I am pretty sure the database engine for certain utilities hasn't changed. Disabling the btrieve engine would prevent you from running NWCONFIG and installing any products / service packs, etc.

In what way is it conflicting? You mention turning off the communication component.. I assume you are referring to the protocol used. One thing you may try, is that in the SYS:SYSTEM\BTI.CFG file, there is a line that reads:

Supported Protocols=SPX,TCPIP

You could try changing it to just SPX or TCPIP, so that the "communication component" isn't talking on the same protocol..There may also be some other options to configure, but this would require more info on the problem.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

The problem is simple. A customer upgraded their accounting system from an earlier to the latest Peachtree 2004. They can't store the accounting database on their NetWare 6 server and have more than one user access it at a time.

Since TCI/IP is the only protocol running, perhaps a fix is to load IPX on all machines including the server, and disable that function in the SQL communication section.

Does that make sense?

If I understand you correctly, you could turn IPX on, (Whether you bound IPX or not to the NIC is probably not relevant)... Then you could change BTI.CFG to use IPX as the protocol. Take out the TCP/IP setting. That way, in theory it would leave TCP/IP alone.

Now, with your specific problem, I don't know if that will work or not. I can think of other reasons that might cause problems that you describe. What is the configuration of your opportunistic locking on the server, and file caching on the workstation? There are tons of documented problems with those settings and database programs in general. The fix is usually to shut them off until Novell gets all the bugs worked out (Which I was told today by a Novell employee, most of those problems are solved in NetWare 6.5)

Marv

I'm glad that NetWare 6.5 has fixed NetWare 6's problems. Let's hope that they patch 6 so it works the way its supposed to.

I know that we won't be selling NetWare 6.5 before 6 is fixed.

It's not a netware 6 problem, it's a problem that has to do with Opportunistic Locking and caching. If I'm not mistaken, the options were also available in NetWare 5.1 and 5.0 in later service packs.

Just want to clarify that it's not specific to Netware 6. NetWare 6 in general, is awesome.

But back to your original problem, what is the status?

Will be visiting the customer next week, and will advise.

Thanks for your help.

marvhuffaker,

I am having the same issue as allanl, can you tell me how to disbale opportunistic locking on the server, and file caching on the workstation? or point me to a doc that helps me,

THanks
Kevin

Visited customer and applied fixes. Nothing worked. the two Win98 PCs cannot both access Peachtree 2004 simultaneiously unless the database is moved to a Windows based machine.

I'm out of ideas, since Peachtree says thats it a btrieve issue and Pervasive blames Peachtree. Pervasive was much more helpful, but their fixes didn't.

Ideas, anyone?

allanl

I was able to get it to work multi user when I setup an additional volume that was using the "Traditional" volume type, instead of the NSS volume type. Try it and see if it works for you.

KF

Why do you need to turn it off and isolate it? We have no trouble using Peachtree with a PVSW/SQL database running separately.

Key thing to remember is use a Traditional volume for Peachtree since it (like Act! 2000) won't work on an NSS volume.

Rmemember to set

set maximum record locks per connection = 4000

I'd also turn off file caching by default

set client file caching enabled = off

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back