Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you create a repository?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyLeroy

Technical User
Aug 24, 2006
US
Hello,
I've search this site to find info on how to create a repository and couldn't find anything.

First off I am unable to log on to crystal enterprise - so I'm wondering if I need to have someone at my company give me access or how to get that?
And once I have access do I need someone to create a project or folder for me to use as the repository?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Joe

Post your software version...

And yes, you need to have access to CE, if your company even has it, Crystal Reports doesn't come with Crystal Enterprise, it's a seperate product.

-k

When opening a version 8.5 report in crystal 10 I get a dialogue box that says feature not supported. Whitin the box it reads "Reports based on crystal dictionary or crystal query are no longer supported. Please change these reports to use business views."
Does this have something to do with the repository?
How do you change a report to use business views?
Thanks for any help.

Still haven't learned if you have CE there...

Using Crystal queries was a bad idea from the beginning, I always suggested that people avoid them.

A Business View is yet another proprietary layer, which should also be avoided unless you need to use them.

The est bet would be to create database objects, such as Views or Stored Procedures, if you can't do that, in CR 10 you can use the Add Command listed right under your connectivity to paste in real SQL (depending on the database).

-k

We do not have Crystal Enterprise - I'm working on getting it

Why is it bad to use crystal queries?
Why should people avoid them?

Reports built with queries run faster and there are some reports that wouldn't work unless using queries.

Is business views another application then? seperate from crystal reports and crystal enterprise?
Thanks
Joe

No, reports built with queries do not run faster, but I agree that in some shops, and you're unable to create database objects, they could prove useful.

Even Crystal started suggesting that people NOT use the query designed in version 8.5.

Reports built on Stored Procedures run the fastest, and using REAL database objects promotes reusability and simplifies maintenance.

As for BVs, check out:

-k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back