Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you come out of standby 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
I've never figured this out ever since the Win 95 days. Neither does anyone else I've spoken to. I've looked at manuals and websites. They all tell you how to set it up and how to put your machine into standby but how do you get it out of standby.

The normal question is Do you mean hibernate? I know how to get machines out of hibernate: just press the power button.

Some machines even have a dreaded standby button. Someone in the office pressed it and in a whole office of 20 people, including tech-support, nobody knew how to get it back other than a reboot. The power option on laptops goes into standby by default. Surely somebody must know.

I've tried
1) hitting the esc key several times. Usually nothing happens
2) Pressing the power button - this shuts it down. When I press it again, it starts up normally
3) Pressing every key on the keyboard several times. Nothing happens either.

Hi,
See if any of these help ( if you haven't read this already)
- It does have a comment on how to set a USB mouse to enable it to wake the PC from standby, as well as many other related issues with standby and hibernate..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks - I've read that one.

It is pretty amazing that there are 4 articles in XP help that tell you how to put it into standby but nothing to tell you nothing to tell you how to take it out of standby.

From all the articles I've read it seems that either moving the mouse (I have a PS/2 mouse) or hitting keys on the keyboard (I have a PS/2 keyboard) will resume from standby. They say it might lose the first key but it doesn't even wake up. Nothing happens when I move the mouse and nothing happens when I tap on the keyboard.

One guy said hit the escape key very quickly lots of times. That didn't work either.

I have never ever gotten this to work. Even multiple taps on laptop s with touchpads doesn't work either.

Does anyone actually use this option?

The power button works for me. Has on several different laptops.

I use it all the time, on several laptops from windows 98 to windows 7 on a netbook.

Usually I hit the spacebar, although mouse movement, a brief press on the power button, if programmed in the powercfg options, should work.

The spacebar is safe - it cannot normally execute stuff - unlike <enter>, a mouse click, or even a character keypress.

Flyboy, I just tried it on my laptop. Using the touchpad didn't wake it up but hitting the space bar works.

Not sure what happened here: the machine stayed up for a minute and then just switched itself off. Probably a power setting I have somewhere that I can have a look at some other time.

I've now abandoned all hopes of using standby.

The laptop which has standby always switches itself off about a minute after waking up.

The desktop never wakes up. If I press the power button, it goes through the whole boot sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back