Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you check a open/set size file is being used

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevo356

Programmer
Nov 23, 2010
GB
If you have a file that is a set size and is constantly open, how can I tell its being used?

I have a db (flat file) that when a piece of code got itself into what I believe was an infinite loop (timing issue) there wasn't any updates to the database for an extended period. I need to know if there is something I can do to monitor and determine if this is happening. I can't think of a way to determine if its being written too, as the size is constant and it doesn't open or close on a regular intervals (changing the file timestamp). Is there anything I can do on the O/S side of things to determine this?

Much appreciated if anyone can point me in the right VMS direction, other than re-coding the actual application that uses the flat file.

Hello Steveo356,

You could try to enable RMS statistics on the file (you might have to do this when it's closed by the application). See HELP SET FILE /STATISTICS. You would then use MONITOR RMS filename.ext to look at the activity against that file.

This may not work depending on how you are doing your writes (i.e. if you aren't using RMS) and what mode your program is (I'm pretty sure MONITOR is only going to see user mode activity). You'll want to play around with it when the application is working correctly to see if it might be useful for you.

Good luck,

Brad McCusker
Software Concepts International

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back