Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you change a file extension? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

flasher

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
Hi,
I just made a text doc. in notepad and I need to change the file extension to .lst so that I can upload it to a list distribution program. How do you do this? You can't just right-click and rename b/c that'll change the file name, not the extension...

Go to your folder options - go to the second tab - and click the circle that says show file extension - the end
I think you need to spend a little more time with your computer if you don't know how to change an extension. DavidDude00@Daw Corp, 1999-2002
%

Simply changing the extension may not do what you want - you will receive a cautionary warning to this effect.
Computers are pretty stupid - consider this FICTITIOUS scenario: You have a document written in english - let's call it 'letter.eng' - to tell the comp. it is in english.
You then change the extension to 'letter.frn', telling the comp to expect it to be written in french. Result - confused computer, as the computer is trying to decipher french, but is presented with code it doesn't recognise. (english)

You may be lucky, but be prepared to change the extension back.........
And I would suggest always having the extension on display - I've never understood Microsoft opting to hide them by default. They provide useful information.

DavidDude - please remember, we all started with minimal knowledge, and asking is the way to educate ourselves. Don't knock those who know less than we do. My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Thanx for sticking up for me, Hotfusion. I noticed that when I changed the extension to .lst (for "list," I guess..) the computer had no idea how to open it. What would you suggest I do to be able to upload my document to the server if the server requires an .lst document?! I called technical support at the comp. but they weren't very helpful. thanx.

"I just made a text doc. in notepad and I need to change the file extension to .lst so that I can upload it to a list distribution program."

Can't you change it by right clicking etc then upload it to the program? Why are you trying to open it after changing it if you're uploading it into a program? The program you're uploading to should open it. If it won't then you'll need to find a program that can either create .lst files or convert other formats into .lst files. I found this one with a quick search and it supports both .txt and .lst files so it can probably convert them:

I guess converting a txt file to lst would be the same as with photo formats. Open the text file into the program then under where you type the file name change the format to .lst and save it.

Perhaps the list distribution program will automatically convert the text file into a .lst file if you upload the text file into the program? Just a guess there.

To define which program to start when the LST-file is opened, go to Folder options in the View menu. Select File types, New type button, and define extension (LST), action (open) and application (on server?) to run.

Kent, I'm hoping that your guess is correct that the program on the server should be able to open it. That makes the most sense. If it doesn't I'll try your program. Thanx for taking the time.

PAnderson, thanx for the tips.

PAnderson

You could also add Notepad to open the lst (LST) file under the section edit in the same way as you mention above.

OR
If you highlight the file & then hold shift key while pressing the right-mouse button on the file. You will get the option to Open With. From there you can choose Notepad to open the LST file.

I tried opening it that way with wordpad and wordpad didn't recognize the file and wouldn't open it.

DavidDude. You need to take a chill pill dude. I am assuming you knew everything when you were born.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back