Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do u arrange IE ver 6 favourites ,alphabetically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzbo

Technical User
Feb 9, 2002
BM
how do u arrange IE ver 6 favourites ,alphabetically?

Click on "Favorites" then right click anywhere on the gray box and click on "Sort by name". "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Hi mate,

That might work for you but it doesn't for me..

I'm using IE6 and I have just tried a few things but none work..

At best I can get most alphabetically with a few that were not..

I even tried to export them to another folder, sort them and then import them back.. Still doesn't work..

Hope this helps Wullie

Works for me all the time. It sorts by catagory and alphabetically, so the whole list will not be in alphabetical order, but will be in each catagory (folders and favicons, etc). "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Actually, it puts my whole list in alphabetical order, folders first and then the rest (favicons or not) in order. As you add favorites it puts them at the bottom of the list and you have to "Sort by Name" each time. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

To be more specific, hold down the "Alt" key and press the letter "a". This will open your favorites menu. Right click anywhere on the menu and select "Sort by Name">>>>>>>>>>> "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

jazzbo,

if you're comfortable tweaking the registry, you can have your Favorites, Program Files, and company sorted out alpha for once.

Go to Start|Run|type "regedit" (sans quotes)|hit [Enter] and look for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu\&Programs\Menu.

R-click on the "order" entry in the R-hand window, then delete it. The list will now be in alphabetical order on next visit to the file just touched up. Repeat the same procedure to alphabetize any folder you want. Once you're done, hit [F5], close the Registry Editor. Restart IE. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!

[thumbsup2]

You can actually just delete the whole subkey. Windows recreates it. If you want to do it by saving a text file with a .reg extension, then this one below works. Notice that there is an extra line to also do the start menu, which can be removed if not wanted. The main thing here, as far as syntax is that "-" which means kill the whole subkey.

--------menufix.reg---------------------------

REGEDIT4

[-HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]
[-HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu]
------------------------------------------------

Problem is -- same problem as with doing the manual context-click on the MSIE menu bar, sort alphabetically -- Windows never saves this preference. So basically the fix is something you have to do all the time.

You could take a tactic such as first saving the *.reg file above, and then making a batch file (VBS or such might be more elegant, but it is bat is simple and familiar). The command would be like this below. A syntax note on this, the "/s" switch for regedit means silent, no prompt.

-----doit.bat-------------------------
regedit /s menufix.reg
cls
exit
--------------------------------------

That bat is not giving a path for menufix.reg; one could it it if needed. If already using an autoexec.bat, one could just copy the one line "regedit /s menufix.reg" into that file. Either add to the line the full path to wherever menufix.reg is stored, or put menufix.reg in the root of C.

Oooops. It was after posting this I noticed that regedit, unlike the registry editor I regularly use, doesn't seem to accept "HKCU" and wants the full string, HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

--------menufix.reg---------------------------
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Start Menu]
------------------------------------------------

Or... you can go into the Favoites directory and move the files out then back in, and they will be in Alpha order.

If your to lazy to do the regestry fix or want to do more than right clicking on the favs in IE :) CJ
- Paper MCSE in training

As I said above:
"To be more specific, hold down the "Alt" key and press the letter "a". This will open your favorites menu. Right click anywhere on the menu and select "Sort by Name">>>>>>>>>>> "

This is the way you're supposed to do it. It's simple and it is supposed to work for everyone. (If it doesn't maybe you need to do a repair on Internet Explorer) "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

nobrain,

I have already mentioned that your suggestion does work for me..

It is CharlieJax's solution that I was talking about.. As I mentioned above, one of the first things I tried was to export, sort and import the files back to the favorites folder and it did not work for me..

Hope this helps Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back