Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do search engines index Flash based sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadProfessor

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
GB
Does anyone know how search engines index flash sites, if at all? I have a flash driven site which uses text files as a convenient way to update the flash content. Will the text files be indexed or am I stuck with using meta-tags etc in the html that holds the flash?

As a search robot will normally follow the links on a page, try making a blind link to your text files. This could look as follows:

<a href=&quot;mycontent.txt&quot;></a>

Note that there's nothing between <a> and </a> - but the robot will most probably recognize there's a link and follow it.

Did not test it though...
allow thyself to be the spark that lights the fire
haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

What BTW (By the way) is the meta tag for listings in sites and stuff?...for like keywords?...I need that for my flash site...=(

Try the following...

Code:
<HEAD>
<TITLE>My World</TITLE>
<META name=&quot;description&quot; content=&quot;Everything you wanted to know about stamps, from prices to history.&quot;>
<META name=&quot;keywords&quot; content=&quot;stamps, stamp collecting, stamp history, prices, stamps for sale&quot;>
</HEAD>

...or go to the URL below (found via Google in no time, seems pretty good to me as a starting point into the more complex depths of <meta> - I added it to my favourites right away :)

allow thyself to be the spark that lights the fire
haslo@haslo.ch - www.haslo.ch​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back