Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do people manage

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasisgjm

Programmer
Aug 8, 2003
CA
I have to say that from my years of tinkering with PC's and reading forums such as this, how the hell do normal people manage to operate their computers? I've had weird things happen that took days to diagnose, so I wonder how many people out there, just stick their PC's in the cupboard and forget about them when something goes wrong. Shoot maybe I should post an ad in my local paper advertising my meagre skills and charge $25 an hour to defrag hard drives, reload operating systems and install drivers. Anyone remember the days when we could spend a few precious hours reading a book or gardening? Gotta love it though.

If you had been in Atlanta 3 weeks ago for the Dell free recycle day you would have seen trailer loads of broken stuff being picked up to be recycled. Stuff that had been sitting on the shelf because it wasn't economical to repair.

We no longer have mostly "early adopters" using the stuff. Early adopters spent the time and money to make things work like they wanted them to.

And currently when people find out how much it costs to repair out of warranty machines they will buy new and either shelve the broken or put it in the dumpster.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back