Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do Meractor Mapstalk to Oracle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabbit3

Programmer
May 2, 2005
US
New to a mercator proj. where a solaris map file has stopped working. The only thing that changed is
the oracle servers's ip changed. We now get an error "Target not Available" where output target is Oracle Database. Not sure why, but *.mdq file appears old and not used. I'd like to know if oracle connection parameters are statically hardcoded into the map file somehow. I don't see in mercator documentation where the low level mechanics is described. Thank You.

hi rabbit

it is possible to write maps that use dynamic database addressing but typically the mdq settings are compiled into your mmc.
Rebuild the map after changing the mdq and the map should connect again.

One way to tell if its built in or not is to see if the card connecting to the database has any connection options in the command line or if only the mdq details are completed.

Tim

Try typing sqlplus from the /mercator/bin directory. Changing the server's IP address requires modifying the tnsnames.ora file on the Solaris server where the map runs.
Make sure it is only the IP address that changed. If it is a newer version you could have other problems.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

Hello, thank you for all help. I was able to run sqlplus to connect to database but mercator can't connect from the solaris host. It seems impossible, so I suspect mercator connects in some different way to the database, than sqlplus.

What version of Mercator and what version of the Oracle client?
Run the UI script from support and check you environment. If you can run sqlplus using the mercator user ID from the mercator/bin directory, the map should be able to connect.
Test case: create a simple map that has a query: select * from testtable (where this is a small two row, two column table). Create the tree and mdq. Input cards has -T for the DB command line. Deploy with the mdq and run from the command line. the .dbl will tell you why you can't connect.
Make sure no one has changed your password or the password used in the mdq. Some companies require password changes every few months.

BocaBurger

Hello, and thanks for sugestions I'm using mercator 5.0 and oracle 8.1.7. It works well to my knowledge except
for occasional network hiccups. The error message returned
currently from oracle adapter/map excecution is (-37) or table not available. However this seems ambiguous. It could mean table is missing(which I can prove isn't true,
since I can run sqlplus and access table OK) or something
else. The exact problem appears unknown to me.

OK, first of all 5.0 is no longer supported (and hasn't been for several years), but I suspect that the problem is that the permissions to the table arte incorrect. You (or the log in in the MDQ) may not have the rights to the table.

You might want to inform someone about the lack of support. If you run into a problem with the code, your only choice is to upgrade to 7.5.1 and that is a big, hard jump, from 5.x

BocaBurger

Hello, what company sells mercator 7.5.1 or who is best source for the latest mercator software. Also how much per license? Thank You for your time :)

The product is now IBM Websphere DataStage TX 7.5.1 and is available from IBM. License cost is dependant on # of CPUs, # of Design Studios needed, if development, Q/A or production server, and platform. Sales will be better able to help with that.

BocaBurger

IBM Websphere DataStage TX 7.5.1" That's a mouth full. Ahhh for the good old days. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back