Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaa69

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
US
We are using CITRIX (with win2k) and using
roaming profile. I mapped the profile to each users. When the users
logon to terminal service I noticed at the server when I rightclick on
my computer, user profile tab, it shows their profiles (roaming or
local). I DON'T want their profiles to show at the server since their
profiles are pointing to \\servername\profiles\%username%. How can I
fix this?

have you tried by Group Policy ?

It is not esay, but you can obtain also other feature,
very useful for Terminal Server use with desktop showing.

bye

jaa69,

The fact that the profile shows up on the local server is not a problem. In fact that is how the roaming profiles work mechanically. Here is what happens with roaming profiles.

When using roaming profiles and a user logs in for the first time it will look at the roaming location. There will likely not be a profile in the roaming location because the user hasn't logged on before. A default profile for that user will be created in the local location (i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\%username%).

When the user logs off of the server the roaming profile will be copied back to the roaming profile location. There is also a registry setting that I recommend setting on a Citrix server that tells the system to delete cached roaming profiles at: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Window NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\DeleteRoamingCache. (add the value as a REG_DWORD value of 1 if it is not already there).

This will force the profile to be deleted when the user logs out and it is successfully copied back to the roaming location.

Note that roaming profiles is not 100% reliable and should be used in conjuction with a good group policy and folder redirection for the users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back