Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I write a new registry subkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navion

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
Yes, I have backed up the registry and system files. I am trying to accomplish a MS article #902274 where I change a number in an entry. They tell you that if the entry is not present then you have to write a new subkey entry to accomplish the change. It has to do with USB Selective Suspend.

Can someone tell me where to go find some instruction or look at the article and give a hint?

Thanks

Launch RegEdit and use the Help program as it is your best source of information about RegEdit.
These following links take the subject a bit further too.

310516 - How To Add, Modify, or Delete Registry Subkeys and Values by Using a Registration Entries (.reg) File

310426 - How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features

I remember the first time I looked at the Registry and how daunting it all seemed, but with time and plenty of safety nets (see below) it soon becomes as familiar as using Explorer.

If you change a key or value, use the Export function to save a copy of any key prior to your change. You just right-click on the highlighted key to find Export.

To backup the whole Registry for easy re-installation (even from other operating systems or DOS) I recommend this free program.

Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back