Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i wipe and load on a 4.0 work station not knowing the password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad2

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
US
I am having a problem trying to wipe Nt4.0 worstation to put another operating system on this box.
Steps taken so far.
1. created dos boot with fdisk. problem with this is machine is not acknowledging c: so i cant delete the partition .
2. tried booting off d: to see if it would install the new operating system, no luck.

Hi,

Boot the system off your DOS bootdisk,. run fdisk from the floppy and choose delete partition then delete non dos partition, then follow the instructions from there.

John

When i reformat a NT machine i dont bother with a boot disk as in my experience its nothing but hassle, i just change the sequence to boot from the NT OS CD, then delete all partions then recreate them & format them, im not sure if this would work if your having problems with booting off the CD.

Since you obviously don't care about the data, just determine the manufacturer of the HD, and get a zero-fill or factory restore utility from them. Most have them available for dload.

If you're trying to wipe it, you dont need a boot disk.

Make sure the system will boot to the CD, then boot it up with the CD in the drive. It will ask you to format and install the drive.

If it doesn't recognize the drive, you've got other problems.

If you can't boot off the cd and see the drive, then do you at least see it in your CMOS setup? If not, then check your cable connections, or the drive may have simply failed.

Matt J.

Hi
It's not neccessary that you first remove NT Partition (NTFS), provided your new os has a bootable installation CD and your system's bios allows you to boot from CD, and you've set it to boot from CD before HDD then you simply begin the installation and the OS installation program will prompt you to a) create new partition or B) delete existing partitions and create new partition. If the new OS recognises existing partition it will prompt you to format or install in existing partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back