Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I view my ethernet video over the net without a static ip? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slapperboy

Vendor
Dec 4, 2002
CA
I have an ethernet video camera at the office. I want to view the office via the camera from home. My office does not have a static ip. The office has a dsl modem router and hub. The camera is attached to the hub. What am I missing. Do I need to pay for some other service. Do I have to have a couple static ip's.

What protocol are you going to use to view the images? H.323, HTTP, etc..??? How do you view the images while at work? I've never seen a camera that plugs directly into an ethernet port. Do you have any more info on the camera and how it works? Most camera's plug into a PC via firewire or USB, then the PC will make the images avalable via HTTP, h.323, real server... so on.

The camera is viewed at the office with our web browser. Internet explorer 6. The camera plugs directly into the hub with a 150ft cable. Camera is a DLINK DCS-1000, This is not a wireless model. We cuurently set an ip address to it. 192.168.1.x.

so do you just browse to 192.168.1.x in your web browser to bring it up? If so, you will need to forward port 80 on your NAT router to the 192.168.1.x address of your camera, then just browse to the ipaddress of your router from home.

It would probably help to have a fixed IP equivalent. You can use a free service at Go to their site and you will be able to get a name - and download a small utility - the utility keeps your WAN IP up to date and you use something like yourname.no-ip.com to connect to. It's a great service - and free. If you have forwarded the HTTP port then it should work fine -

Kim Leece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back