Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I utilise OU's 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgscit

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
AU
G'day ppls,

I'm thinking of utilising these wonderful things called OU's.

ok...I've heard a bit about how good they are in helping you organise the directory, but how do I use them?

The only way I can see of putting a PC or server or user into an OU is to right click and select move on the container. This then moves it out of the container it is in.

Am I able to have objects in multiple containers?

ie, the OU's Computers, Domain Controllers etc have items in them, if I "move" one of the objects into an OU, will I still be able to access the object from the original container? Will it behave exactly the same?

I have multiple sites with one domain. It would be nice to be able to organise users, PC's, Servers & printers logically depending on thier site, but I also want to be able to do it globally for the domain.

Am I asking too much or has Lotus notes rubbed off on me in the way it handles your docs?

Cheers,

Pete
[morning]

No pete questions are good. OUs are used to organize a network into logical pattern. No you can't have the same object in more than one OU. Users, computers, services, etc... have security principle. For this reason they can't be located all over the place. For example, you create user John and than you try to created or copy user John in another OU. How many instances of John will you like to have and how will you like to manage those various instances? That is the benefit of OUs. Let say you organization have many departments (accounting, HR, production, etc..). you will create OUs for each department. next, you are going to add security principal to those departmental OUs (users and computers). You are going to applied group policy to each of those OUs. I hope you are seeing the logical pattern that is forming here. These OUs are like separate network in a way. You are going to assign rights, and administer each OU as if it was a separate company. You can even delegate control to someone to administer an OU. In the end, you have just split your network into logical units that are easy to manage and administer. When you move a user or computer, AD delete that user or pc from the present OU and copy or create it in the destination OU.

MCSE 2000
Computer Engineering Technology

Tip - If you create a PC or server's "COMPUTER ACCOUNT" in the right OU first, then add the machine to the domain it will go straight to the right OU. No need to move it from the default computer's OU afterwards.

Regards
jpaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back