Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I use the Sticky Bit ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron7

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2005
US
AIX System 5.2 ML3 -
How do I use the Sticky bit for example I want to change the permissions on this file to be drwxr-sr-- How do i get the "s" into the other group or ownergroup ?

AIX System 5.2 ML3 -
How do I use the Sticky bit for example I want to change the permissions on this file to be drwxr-sr-- How do i get the "s" into the other group or ownergroup ?

Technically, I don't believe this is a sticky bit. It's a set gid, set. I believe drwxrwxrwt ( the t ) would be "sticky"

anyway....

chmod g+s ( group )

Remember their is a difference between rwS and rws as well. the lowercase s is executable.

A sticky bit would have 't' at the end (e.g., rwxrwxrwxt ).

The sticky bit on a directory would let a user remove only their files they own. A sticky bit on a file tells the OS that it will be executed frequently, and thus, is kept in swap, to reduce the time to execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back