Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I use the OledbAdapter Wizard to connect to an Access 2000 db?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapbucket

Programmer
Jun 30, 2002
US
Hi,

I am going through the walkthroughs that came with VS.net pro and need some help. The walkthrough takes you through the usage of the "data" tools for Oledb management, in specific, the OledbAdapter that you use to make a connection. When you drag and drop the OledbAdapter onto the form (for a windows app project) and the configuration wizard comes up, you can specify a new connection. Currently, I am running SQL server 8.0, so in the wizard I specify that as my server. Than I look down and see that I have to enter a password:

Q1: What is the password? Am I supposed to login with my user account name and pass (ex OWNER, PASSWORD - the same that I use when i login at the start of XP)?

Q2: How come I can only open the "master" database (which is empty)?

Q3(MOST IMPORTANT!): How do I get the dataAdapter to "open" or "see" (dont know correct term) the "pubs" (the Access database that came with VS.NET pro) db?
I would like to play around with the pubs database with VS.NET, but I cant figure out how to get VS.NET to "look at it." I know the basics: first I make the adapter, than I make the connection, and then I can use a datagrid to view, etc. For the life of me I cant figure out how to setup the adapter and the connection to an access 2000 db.

Q4: Is there a specific directory that the sql server uses for its data sources?

So if I answer the above, I can complete the walkthrough!

Thanks!

Thanks for the help!!

Tom Humphrey
humphrey@ee.unr.edu

I struggled with building mine from the ground up, then I tried the DATA FORM WIZARD under ADD COMPONET MENU. It should work for you plus you get all the code added.

The visual basic 6 seemed more straightforward.

I agree GaryWilsonCPA.
I seem to be having a more difficult time going from VB6 to .NET than the other dude here that is learning .NET with me and he is comming from VBA.

I seems like quite a jump between the two.

TheKing

oh by the way, I have a question about this connection to my database, I don't seem to have the 'Design Table' option in the right click of a table in the Server Explorer. That should be in Professional right? I don't have to have arcitect(sp)?

[pc2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back