Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i use the database expert with mysql server

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuintonV

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
ZA
When I run the databse expert it only has a option for access table files how do I run it with mysql? or does some1 knowe of a nice sql tutorial that I can download ive already done the tutorial that comes with delphi but didnt help much.

Thanx

Quinton

Do you have the MySql drivers available in the BDE administrator? First you have to define an alias to point to your database.

Regards S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Thank you for your help I had an alias for it but didnt see the aliases under the alias option it only showed my hard drives and network drives I then reinstalled delphi and my aliases reapeared

If you want to access MySql databases in Delphi and provided you're on the Windows platform, I may be in position to help. Well it quite easy, if you have not yet got the MyODBC stuff from the MySql website...go forth and do it. Once you've got MyODBC installed, you just have to create an ODBC alias pointing to your MySql database and in Delphi pick the alias from the 'AliasName' property of a Database object...got it right?

T'was a pleasure helping,
take care mate!
BonnScott

Thanx for your help but as I staed above it did reapeer and thus is working fine now. Yes I am using it in a windows platform both actualy and am wondering if it takes your aps a long itme to load too? I create the conections and delphi creates most of the code for me so it cant be a scripting error what im experiencing is when i press F9 to compile the program and test it which is just a simple script that reads the dbs records anyway it takes a long time to load up, it takes forever to authenticate on my mysql server is there maybe a conection setting in the myodbc driver in the bde administrator that i can set to make it load faster? once its loaded it goes fast through the db but takes around a minute to connect

Thanx again

In general ODBC drivers only work optimal with M$oft products. ODBC using excell and SQL-server works fine.

You can try the Zeos database components, which provide delphi components for connecting to postgres, mysql and other databases which do not reside on M$OFT platforms
S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back