Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I use Oracle hints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordyMc

Programmer
Aug 15, 2001
GB
Hi all,
Does anyone know how to force Oracle to always use the right index when sorting tables? I know that Hints can be used but how do you implement them in Clarion? I have tried putting the corresponding index name into the External name field on my keys in my Clarion dictionary but it doesn't make any difference. I have also tried implementing the hints in code using Prop:Hint(the hint is set in code whenever a tab is changed) whenever I change tabs on a generated Clarion browse which works sometimes and always throws up this error after changing 2 tabs

Record retreival error
Error: (ORA: - 01480: trailing null missing from STR bind value(-1480))
attempting to access a record from the BCW.DIARY file.
Returning to previous window.

(BCW.DIARY is the name of the file I am accessing)

I have my file set to Enable field binding in the dictionary.

I currently set PROP:Hint to the right index whenever I change tabs. Is this the right place to do this? Is there a better embed point in which to set the Hint?

The way my application is currently working means that any sorting on a browse is really , really slow.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Gordon McClintock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back