Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i use Fill in Excel with numbers and letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBiker

Instructor
Mar 8, 2002
US
I'm am sure this is an easy thing to do in excel, but I can't seem to find the right way of using the Fill feature in Excel.

I want to know how to drag three cells that have the following in them:

001A
001B
001C

so the next cell below will have 001D then below that cell it will go in order:

001A
001B
001C
001D
001E
001F

I am sure it can be done. Thanks for your help.

Try experementing with the format of the cells. It may defaulty be set to number or general.

Excel will increment numbers and dates for you, but not letters, so you will have to use a formula for what you want to do.

In cell A1 enter the following formula:

="001"&CHAR(64+ROW())

This will only work for "001A" to "001Z" in rows 1 through 26. If you want to have the number increment as well (i.e. "001Z" then "002A") you will have to extend the formula a bit.

=TEXT(CEILING(ROW(),26)/26,"000")&CHAR(64+ROUND(MOD(ROW(),26.1),0))

This will work for "001A" to "005Z" in rows 1 through 130. I am working on one that will work for all 65536 rows thought! ;-)

I hope this helps so far though!

Peace! [peace]

Mike

Never say Never!!!
Nothing is impossible!!!

OK, Now I've got it . . . :)

This will work for all 65,536 rows if you want to use it:

=TEXT(CEILING(ROW(),26)/26,"000")&CHAR(90+(ROW()-CEILING(ROW(),26)))

Put the formula into cell A1 and AutoFill down as far as you want to. I will return "001A" to "2521P".

Enjoy! ;-)

Peace! [peace]

Mike

Never say Never!!!
Nothing is impossible!!!

Hey, Mike. Looks like you do dern well with text formulas. Can you help me out here? I'm not very good at getting dates and stuff to be seen properly, tho I can do all the left, mid, rights, etc... :) I'd appreciate any help.

thread68-653393

Anne Troy
Way cool stuff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back