Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I upgrade file server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalpeshh

MIS
Feb 10, 2002
US
Hi I want to upgrade my file server from old server to new server. I have new server with better processor and more sources. I would like to know what will be the simplest way I can do this after backing up my data.

--admin

What are you thinking of upgrading? OS, Entire server. Or just moving data to new server?

New Operating system and moving all my shared data from old server to new server. And I want to keep the same name for my server.

one thing you can use to move your data over is robocopy. it might be faster than restoring your data to the new server, depending on your tape drives. we've used it before to migrate data, and it works beautifully.

hi, just curious for future refrence, say i got a new server which was totaly clean, not even an os on it and i wanted to do a complete copy of my old server to the new one so everything is the same as it used to be, how would i do that?

Marc Turner, ECDL

thanks for the tip : Robocopy. I usually use Scopy

KALPESHH,

Doing exacly that same thing right now with PDC. Here is the process that we came up with and it seems to be working pretty good so far.

1. Install OS and give it a name that is unique to your network and join existing domain as same roll (DC or member server).

2. Create all of the same shares and copy data to the shares. Install any Server apps (exchange, sql)

3. Install printers (make identical share name).

4. Once you have new server finished, at opportune time, bring old server down. Change the name of new server to match the name of old server and reboot.

Users will need to logoff and login again to map connections to new server. They should be mapping to new server at this point.

The nice thing about this way of doing it is you never touch data on old server and if things go south, you can revert back to old server.

Good luck

JHALL

Hi JHALL,
Thanks for your answere, really appreciated but need to ask you one thing. According to you create new server and create share all over again and copy data. This will be lot of work. What you suggest robocopy or any other registry settings so that the share remain intact when I copy folders from old server to new one.

--kalpeshh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back