Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I update the password for mapped drives and printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheAggie

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
US
I have a new laptop that I use to access domain resources but is not attached to the domain. I do have an account on the domain (and my other laptop is joined to it).

When I mapped the drives (and printers) on my new laptop I typed in the account name and password and told it to remember it. Well, today my domain password expired and I had to change it. Now whenever I boot I have to type in the new password to access my mapped drives and I can't figure out how to access my network printers. Is there a way to fix this without having to remap everything. I would also prefer to not have to leave a mapping script on my computer that declares my account name and password to created the presistence (but I would accept a simple script that will install the new password for windows to persist).

Mark Hancock

P.S.
1) Where does XP keep the password info for these mappings. I found the mappings information (including my domain identity) in the registry under \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Network but no passords info.
2) I have heard about Kerbos but I don't know much of anything except that is is for authentication. Is that something I could use in my trek to an easy login?

There is a "Manage Passwords" section obtained via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. In the resulting window you will get to it via the Advanced tab.

See if there is anything mentioned in "Manage Passwords"?

Another thing you can look at is this -

306992 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer in a Domain in Windows XP

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Go to Map Network drives in Explorer or by right-clicking on MY Computer. Click the drive in question so it is in the Drive: field. Then click the link below that says, "Connect using a different user name." It will remember this until the next time your password expires.

As far as your "P.S.'s":

1) You cannot change stored passwords in this way. Being able to do this would make Windows even less secure than it already is.
2) Kerberos is the protocol AD uses for authentication and is not particular to Windows. See here for more information:

Well, I stand corrected. I thought that utility was only for Web managed passwords...

Thanks All (especially linney)! [medal]

That was SO EASY! (once I know where to go).

Tek-tips has been a great resource to me. As much as I try to be an expert on everything I need to do, "everything" seems to be getting bigger at a stratospheric rate.

Well if you every have a problem with high-speed realtime servo machine control, let me know [wink].

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back