Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do i update my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cabbiedave

Vendor
Mar 18, 2005
AU
My modem keeps droping out and sometimes only connect at 33.6kbps should connect at a minimum of 50.6 for a 56.0kbps motoral Modem sometimes it drops out up to 6 times in 1 hr and oter times within 10mins it drops out 3 times

I have been told to update it on the net but how ?

I assume what someone is suggesting to you is that you search on the internet for a more up-to-date driver for your modem. To do this you will need to know exactly what type of modem is inside your computer, and preferably the chipset name and type number, plus your operating system, e.g. WIN98, W2K, XP etc.

However, this may not necessarily be the answer to your problem. If your line quality is bad or you have a less than perfect connection into your phone socket, then this maybe the reason for the dropouts. If you are using extension cables or plugging into a secondary phone socket in the premises, then I'd suggest you try temporarily moving the computer so that you can plug your modem cable directly into the master phone socket. Disconnect all other phones in the building, and see if you still get line dropout.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back