Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I unlink pictures in a Quark document

Status
Not open for further replies.

pobajo

Technical User
Jan 30, 2004
US
I am running Quark 6.52 on Tiger OS.

I have a document in which all the pictures are cleanly linked. (This is folder1 on my desktop) I want to delete all the pictures in the folder and relink them to another location on the server (folder 2) that has the same files plus some new ones. So, I go ahead and delete them and go into Utilities to relink them and it says the pictures are all OK. Looking further, they were automatically linked to a 3rd location (folder 3) also on the server, the original one. I don't want this, even tho some are the same pictures. I need to link them to a particular folder.

I know if I got rid of ALL the originals in folder 1 and folder 3, then they would show up as missing and I could go on from there. Unfortunately there are multiple copies of these on the server, so that is not feastable. They are needed for other things.

Before you could just move a Quark file to another location and your pictures would show up as Missing and you can just relink them to the ones you want.

So, my question is, how do I unlink the pictures so I relink them to the folder of my choice. I cannot find anything in Quark help, so looking to you. If there is no solution, I will have to reimport all of them.

Thanks much in advance

I have the same issues.
A quick and dirty solution is to create a new folder inside your "folder 3".
I usually name it "hide".
Then move all the pics into this folder.
Update your pics in Quark (it should have lost them) and then save.
Return your pics to "folder 3" and chuck "hide".
The trick to unlinking quark pics is not to move the quark doc, but the pics.
Hope this helps.

Thanks, we have done that in the past as well. Unfortunately these pictures are all on a server and they were used for field testing docs. I copied them all over to the new folder and the real docs (I do the production), but they were all still linked to that original folder. Problem is, they are scattered all over in different folders that were used for field testing. (that designer didn't know enough to keep them in ONE folder). I was about to take the entire folder (including docs, pics, collects, etc.) off the server, thereby making them "lost" as you state. I have these same pics in another folder which I want to link them to instead.

Wouldn't you think it possible to have this feature in Quark, for example hold down some keys and redirect your doc to a picture folder?

Thanks so much for your comments on this frustrating problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back