Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I uninstall a printer??? (don't laugh so hard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioSteve

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
I am an Oracle database administrator and my friends think that I know how to fix their computers.

A home pc running Windows xp has had printing issues with a local printer. No LAN is involved.

I decided to delete the printer using the gui and then reinstall it. Unfortunately, the icon changed to "deleting". I tried removing the connection to the printer and restarting the machine. Unfortunately it still says "deleting".

How do I FORCE the OS to delete this printer??? I assume that your solution will involve the command prompt. I understand how to start a command prompt and I understand the concept of a command switch. But if you can give me exact syntax, that would be wonderful.

There are any documents in the printer queue - that stops it from deleting (double click the printer icon to check - and if there are delete the entries).

Usually even 'stubborn' deleting printers will finally disappear after a (can be quite long!) while.

If you just need to delete the printer
Stop the print spooler either Start -> Run -> services.msc
or
Start -> Run -> cmd -> enter
net stop spooler

delete [regedit] HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\PrintersName

Net start spooler

If you want to delete the drivers related to the printer
Delete Drivers go here C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86
Remove drivers from the registry [start -> Run ->regedit]

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\WIndows NT x86\Drivers\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back