Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I troubleshoot a DOS Box application that looses network drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spmnemrc

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
I have a DOS application (FoxPro 2.6) that is being run on an NT server (4.0) that occasionally looses its network connection with the message. &quot;This device does not exist on the network. reading drive <x>.&quot; Abort Retry Fail.

Here are some troubleshooting details.

- The problem occurs on more than one NT 4.0 network. But all networks it fails on are Windows NT 4.0.

- The message may happen on one computer on the network, but not on others. I have eliminated the wiring as an issue here.

- If I hold A for Abort, the connection eventually comes back.

- I can place a stategic wait (1 to 5 seconds per loop) in the loop of code it likes to disconnect in sometimes get the code to work without network disconnect.

- I have fixed one site by using updated 3Com network card drivers, but driver downloads for other cards have proved fruitless.

I am pretty sure I am dealing with a timing issue with packets. But I do not know how to test or diagnose this. Can someone help?

Could be the AUTODISCONNECT parameter on the server - go to a prompt on the server and use:

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

Could be power management - turn it all off on the workstation.

Could be Compaq (spit) Management Software if the workstation is a Compaq running Windows 2000, uninstall it all. There is a Micosoft Knowledgebase article on this.

Try replacing the 3Com cards with Intel Etherexpress cards I had the same problems with a DOS App (Sage Line 100) running on NT4. According to MS and Sage the problem is with Realtek drivers (many NIC Mfrs use Realtek chips and re-badge the drivers) and 'Nagling'. At this time we had a mixture of 3Com, D-Link and Digital NIC,s (previous admin) after changing all the NIC,s to Intel the problem disappeared.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back