Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I transfer my hard drive from my current Lenovo PC to my new Dell Optiplex 3050

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_F

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2018
US
How do I transfer my hard drive from my current Lenovo PC to my new Dell Optiplex 3050 without reinstalling everything on the HD
Both PCs are SATA... is it possible to just swap the drive into the new PC make a few changes to ensure proper boot and then good to go???

The reason for this is that my current Lenovo PC was recently upgraded to a SSD and all programs were reinstalled on the new SSD (this took hours to do with sofware venders ect...)

I would like to just swap the SSD into my new PC and save the hassle of installing all the programs all over again

All help is much appreciated

It is unlikely that you are going to be able to do that. There are too many settings that are tied to the hardware.
If you wish to try the swap I would suggest that you buy an extra drive and clone your existing setup onto it, then use the cloned drive for experimentation. That way you'll still have a working computer.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Even if the hardware was similar enough to tolerate a transplant (dis-similar hardware can cause no-boot situations), Windows 10 would object from a licensing perspective since the license cannot be transferred to a different motherboard.

Reload programs - sorry.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Ok thanks for your insight

The reason for this is that my current Lenovo PC was recently upgraded to a SSD and all programs were reinstalled on the new SSD (this took hours to do with sofware venders ect...)"

I have never had to reinstall anything when I got a replacement SSD. Everyone I have purchased eith came with software or had a link to download it to clone the original harddrive onto the SSD while making the necessary changes particular to the SSD. Everything on the original drive is cloned over to the ssd. It takes about 1 hour to clone the drive

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

That was a good point. What brand was the SSD? Normally they come with free cloning software. I know that Intel and Samsung has free software that has always worked for me.

It is a Crucial MX500

Thanks for the ideas guys....
I had already cloned my origonal HD to my New SSD drive in my current PC using easUS... that worked great... I never had any real luck using Acronis from crucial
This issue now is I have a new PC and want to put my current SSD into that new PC without reinstalling everything
I'm doing testing now to see if I can make this work... mainly because at work I have 30 computers in the same situation... I have a generic image setup for imaging but its just that "generic"
The computers all have very unique/complex software installed on an old PC with a new SSD... I want that SSD out of the old PC and into the New PC without all the software install hassle
Its seems like I am so close but yet so far :)

The way that I would do it is to get a USB to SATA interface cable (assuming your SSD uses SATA), load up your cloning software, I would use something besides Acronis, clone the harddrive, take out the hard drive, install the SSD, and boot your computer. That should be all it takes

Bill
New York State, USA

Ill give it a try...
Do you think it will work even if the computers are from different manufacturers (Lenovo to Dell)??

all computer interfaces are standardized. The computer manufacturers will make no differences as long as the clone uses the existing hard drive on the computer you are installing the SSD on. The different manufactures need different drivers installed in windows but since you are doing an exact clone those drives will be on the replacement SSD

Bill
New York State, USA

It likely won't work with dis-similar hardware and you have to deal with the licensing problem if it boots. I would bet 5 cyber fake dollars on it.

Link

Link

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back