Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I transfer files containing auto-flow text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

MIS
Apr 8, 2001
GB
I am working with Publisher 2000 and have produced a book of some twenty chapters, each saved as a separate file. Each file (chapter) uses auto-flow and is made up of anything from two to eleven pages in length. Every file is completely separate from its, and the lot are saved in one folder.

The job is now finished and I am trying to amalgamate them into ONE large file so that they may be printed out as a complete book, printed on both sides of the paper, in its final form. Everything must transfer exactly as it is. However, when I try to copy and paste the pages into the new file the auto-flow text fails to copy. If I 'select all', the chapter headings (set in separate text frames) transfer over, but not the text. Nothing I have tried works.

Can anyone please suggest a way around this?

Eric

One: One file at a time: You can make the text box on the first page of the file extend way down into the scratch area. Make one huge text box and as you do that, the text in overflow will start filling up the one text box. Then copy and paste to your main file.

OR - and much better:

Two: Select text box one (i'm imagining you have one big page sized text box on each page.) Then go "Edit - Edit story in Microsoft Word". You can then copy and paste the text from there to your main file (as it all flows continuously like a normal document).

I presume you'll be using Pub as your main file...not a great idea but youc an still do it if that's your preferred program.

M

PS, if you've got something like a magazine happening, with other unlinked text boxes with headings, this isn't going to work well is it? Another option, which, from memory, means you can't edit after doing so is to select all objects on one page, (ie text boxes, and graphics if you have them) then group. Then do your copying and pasting. When you paste, each page will be an object.

In case you don't know how to group, I'm sure there will be easy help instructions, but: drag your mouse way around the edge of the page in the scratch area; the grouping tool is probably on the toolbar, if not, right click on an object, group. That locks them together. M

'Stroppy'. Thanks for your help and interest in this problem of mine which is proving quite difficult.

I can see that I should have explained more fully what my book is like but I wanted to keep the original posting as simple as possible.

You are quite right, it does consist of a couple of separate text boxes, one the chapter number and two the chapter title before the text begins. But that is not all because the main text consists of two columns per page. So they are quite complicated pages.

As you suggest, I have previously tried grouping the whole page and then attempting to copy and paste it. However, the two small text boxes copy over OK but the main text refuses to flow and nothing I have been able to do will make it!

I have also tried your first suggestion of making 'a huge text box' and then copying and pasting. This des work but unfortunately all the columns come out full A4 page size and then they have to be re-formatted to get them to fit the columns again. This is an enormous job and also very hazardous because so much can go wrong.

I really have to use Publisher because the whole job has to be as close as possible to professional typesetting standards and will eventually be produced by digital printing. It also contains a large number of typesize changes; chunks of text indented in tabs; and other things which can only really be produced (I think) in Publisher. (I used to be a professional typesetter and the fact is that this job would be more easily produced in Quark but I can't afford it and don't understand it!)

If that all helps you to think of a solution I shall be very grateful!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back