Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i toggle on/off this option in IE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
hi, does anyone know how to toggle on/off that prompt that pops up when you download a file off the net? everytime i enter the URL of a file to downlaod, IE doesn't ask me if i want to open it in the browser or save it to disk. it just automatically downloads and opens the file in the browser, which doesn't allow me to save it.

i could just right click and save as but some sites don't have links to the file and i have to get the url from its source code.

what type of file are you wanting to download?? Is it a .doc or a .txt file??

if so, IE will open the file automatically in the browser and not give you the option to download.

if the file is a .zip or a .exe file it should bring up the dialog box asking you if you want to save it to disk.

I could be wrong but i think that its not a matter of toggling on/off the option like you're wanting to do.

Not sure if this will do it but try..GOing under.
Tools, internet options, security.
Highlight the internet icon on the left and choose custom level at the bottom..Scroll to the downloads section and make sure that Prompt for download is checked off.

If not ..Look around in there.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back