Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I TFTP backup my Nortel 5520's and 8600's so they are readable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzouk

Technical User
May 31, 2011
GB
Hello,

When I TFTP the configs from our 5520's and 8600's it is unreadable, how can I TFTP them so they are readable?

Many thanks

The config.cfg file on the 8600 is an ascii text file. You can open it with any text editor. Sometimes notepad doesn't recognize the formatting so it looks unreadable. Try a different text editor.

On the 5500 it depends on how you copy off the file.
If you use the CI menus there is an option to copy either a binary or ascii version of the file. The binary will be unreadable.

There are the same options if you use device manager.

Thanks,
1.) Can I do ASCII from command line?
2.) How can I do this from the device manager, I have it open but am not sure of what option to use?

I think the 5500 command line copies a binary file.

From device manager choose edit > File system

I had some notes on doing this from CLI for baystack switches in this post:

I backup my 8600s using a Perl script that connects to them and prints out the config... not graceful but it works and has the benefit of being able to show the status of a few other things that I like to track.

Hi,

We had several issues when trying to restore 5500 series switches using ASCII configs. As of then we recommend our customers to store both the binary and the ASCII file.

Cheers

Bas

If you try to copy the saved config to tftp, it creates a useless big dumb binary file.
What you need to do is copy the running config, and it saves it as ASCII.
(Copy run tftp address ...)

For the 8600,
upload configuration <TFTP Server Address> <File Name>
should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back