Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I tell which app is using the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericksoda

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
US
I have Earthlink satellite connection (DirecPC). Occasionally it appears that the transmit modem is totally used (the TX light stays lit and peformance is really slow.)

Is there any application out there that will tell me which process or application is using the network? and how much bandwidth it is using? I'd also like to know what the real throughput is, if that is possible.

Thanks for any help.

David

I use Sygate Personal Firewall. It shows everything that is using the internet, and if a new program tries to access it, Sygate asks first before it allows the connection.

Kim.

Kim, thanks, but Earthlink makes me disable firewalls. It conflicts with their software somehow. I was using McAfee's...

Max, I looked at the dslreports tools, and some of them look good. I haven't played with sniffer tools yet, but will tonight. THanks!

David

"Earthlink makes me disable firewalls" !!!!?
That sounds amazing! Does Earthlink therefore guarantee your internet security? I was under the impression that the US is considering passing a law that makes users responsible for a basic level of security on their own machine - i.e. a firewall and a virus program. If someone manages to take over your machine and initiate an attack from it does it mean that Earthlink is actually resonsible - as they won't let you manage your own security? Sounds like "high risk" to me! Personally I would be looking for a new ISP!!!

Kim.

I have just checked the Earthlink website and they actually advertise and have a link to Zone Alarm...........!

Kim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back