Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I stop WinXP controlling my wi-fi device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPV

MIS
Apr 15, 2004
GB
I run WinXP SP2 with an 802.11g wi-fi device to connect to my router/broadband modem. As I want to take full advantage of the WPA authentication/encryption, I use the config tool that shipped with the device instead of letting XP control the device itself.

When I start the config tool it picks up the settings (SSID, WPA-PSK key etc) and the device connects to my router, exactly as designed.

Until recently, if I left the wi-fi device physically connected but didn't launch the config tool, the network connection icon in the systray would just sit there with the red x over it. Again, this is exactly as expected.

However it seems that someone nearby has recently installed a wi-fi router of their own and used the out-of-the-box setup (no security).

Now when I leave my wi-fi device connected without its config tool running, WinXP steps in and connects me to that person's device. I know it's theirs not mine because the SSID is NETGEAR (mine is something totally different). Not surprisingly, I don't want to connect to their network!

Any idea how I can stop XP doing this? I want XP to leave the device alone and wait for me to run the config tool when I want to connect.

I have already disabled the Windows Zero Configuration service. Windows Updates are installed to date.

Thanks in advance for answers/ideas/doco suggestions.

I made a shortcut to the device.. and unable/disenable at my command.

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Do you have two seperate wireless devices? If so, disable the unused one.

In most circumstances that I have seen, when a seperate device has been installed that has its own config tool, the native windows wireless utility will report that it "cannot be used to configure this device"

However, you should still be able to set the preference of network connection order/priority.

You have said that you have disabled zero config...as a check, make sure that the "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings" checkbox is unchecked within the 'Wireless Networks' tab of the 'Wireless Network Connection' properties window. That should disable auto config!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

I've been through this myself. From what I can determine, you can't completely stop Windows from automatically connecting to a WLAN by itself, short of disabling your WNIC when not in use. In their infinite helpfulness, they decided that if not already connected, Windows needs to connect to any WLAN it can find.

Thanks for the replies folks.

To clarify, I do only have the one wi-fi device so it must be as jasen suggests (that Windows just gets on and does it regardless of how annoying/blatantly incsecure it is).

Oh well, I'll go for either the disable or unplug option. Unless anyone else has some fancy ideas they could share with us all.

Thanks again.

Depending on your wireless client - the one on my Lenovo is the IBM Access Connections - right click on My Network Places and select properties. Under Wireless Connections, right click and select properties. In the properties box under the Wireless networks tab, uncheck the "use windows" box.

Then, using the client software for your wireless nic, set up your ssid and encryption scheme.

You will still be able to see other networks and will only latch to yours if it is in range. otherwise, your machine will latch to whatever is in range automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back