Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I stop additional data entry to a record? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmurnane

Technical User
Jul 9, 2007
IE
I have a database that is used to monitor maintenance callouts to various buildings, these records are classified as either 'open', 'pending' or 'closed' from a drop down field menu. When the field is changed to 'closed' how can I prevent all the rest of the data in the record from being modified?
Many Thanks,
Dominic

There is no right or wrong way to accomplish this. Depending on how much flexiblity you want will determine what is best for you. The quick down and dirty way would be to use FM built in security. Go to Manage - Accounts and Privileges. What you need to do is create a new privilege set. Assign it a name and then on the Records drop down choose custom. You can then set the access levels for each table in the database and for edit select limited and you can build the expression for when it is ok to edit.

Then simply create the users and assign them this set.

Alternatively, you could use scripting to change the field to closed, and use separate layouts where the fields can not be entered in the "closed" layout. You can get pretty creative with using different portals and relationships to display the data differently depending on the "status".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back