Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I start new?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldfishflake

Technical User
Jun 14, 2002
US
I have a NW4.11 server that I am wanting to upgrade to NW6. IF I want to do a clean install, what is recommended for fdisk, format on the existing 4.11? We are running Compaq's Proliant 1600, with a 450mgz processor, 512megs ram, and Smart drives. Any tips would be appreciated. I want to redesign the directories/rights under NW6, and really needed to clean up old stuff on the 4.11. I have all summer as I work for a school district that is out until August, so thought this would be a good time to start.

It sounds like you want to completely wipe out the NW411 server and replace it with NW6.

1. First, I would backup all of your data and do a test restore on another server to make sure your backups are reliable.

2. Next, boot from a DOS disk and run fdisk. In fdisk, I would wipe out everything - the DOS partition and the non-DOS (NetWare volumes) partitions. Now you have a clean hard drive to work with. The minimum required size of the DOS partition is 50MB, but you should create at least a 500MB or higher partition and set the partition to active.

3. Next you have to format the DOS partition in FAT and transfer the system files. Format C: /S. I like to copy the entire contents of the DOS disk onto the C: drive --> copy A:\ C:\. If you do this, you will have to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys files and rename any "A:" to "C:". Reboot the server and make sure that you can boot to the C: drive without any problems.

4. You should be ready for the NetWare installation at this point.

ChrisP

Where do I get a boot disk for a server? I don't think it is the same as the Windows one? Thanks, Sherry

No, you can't use the Windows disk. DOS 7 is included on the NW6 CD.

ChrisP

Sorry, its not on the CD. Its on the license diskette.

If you boot from the nw6 cd you can delete existig partitions, this will then do a clean install. Lee Smith
Associated Network Services
Snr Systems Engineer
Lee.Smith@ANSPLC.Com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back