Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I share the C:\ drive on two client PCs running Windows 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abba

MIS
Feb 25, 2000
US
As the subject describes, I would like to share the C:\ drives on two client PCs running Windows 98. I tried tying the two computers together through an Ethernet connection. Can you do that? Or should I try connecting the two computers together through another route?

You can connect the two computer either directly to each other via a cross-over cable or through a hub. Make sure that if you are not using a hub that you get a &quot;cross-over&quot; cable, you cannot connect to computers directly to each other with a standard network cable.<br>
<br>
Once you have them physically connected, its just a matter of setting up the computers on the same protocol (ie TCP/IP or NetBEUI) and if TCP/IP assigning them each an address (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0), turning on File and Print Sharing and sharing the C: drive.<br>
<br>
There is really no other viable option than a straight ethernet connection. You could do via serial or parallel ports, but that is deathly slow and requires about the same amount of work to set up.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps,<br>
Paul Kincaid

You also have to assign them to the same workgroup I belive for them to be able to see eachother. I dont think that you have to assign them their own ip's though if you are using NetBEUI.

Once you establish both machies in the same workgroup using ControlPanel/network/Identification tab, you'll also want to click on 'File and Print Sharing' and check 'Allow others access to my files'.<br>
You're not done yet. In Windows Explorer, right click on the file or folder (or drive) that you want to share and choose your allowable access (e.g. read only or full).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back