Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I share cable internet w/ a hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

joemanuel

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
US
I have:
One cable broadband internet connection with an external cable modem.
Two PC's with XP pro on both and one lan card in each.
One old hub with 16 RJ45 ports.

Can someone tell me how I can share my internet connection with my second computer. Do I need two lan cards on my host computer?

I tried the following and it did not work.

Cable outlet - modem - hub- pc and pc

I think that it should be cable outlet - modem - host - hub - sharing pcs

Thanks in advance

Joemanuel

your second one is right cable to first pc then to hub to sharing pc. just make sure that you share the connection on the host pc. (after creating the connection right click then properties then advance tab then share this connection.

Hi Joe,

I think the best bet will be to obtain a router box, this will allow you connect upto 253 computers to the cable modem. However most cable company's really allow a max of 3 pc's connected. Try to obtain a router with a NAT firewall inside as these tend to give a bit better protection from hackers.

I use a Belkin router for my network and it is a breeze to setup. Just plug in, follow a few simple setup infos and away you surf! It will also allow your to have a network where all your pc's can talk to each other and share files etc and all can got on the net at same time , but the network is protected from the internet from people trying to "hack" in.

I hope this will somehow help your dilemma. A standard hub doesnt have the electronics to share the connection only signals being driven by a pc.

regards Mx

Thanks MxMan2k and Buckeyecomputers.

Buckeyecomuters,
does that mean tha I got two have two lan cards on my first pc; one for cable in and one to send to the hub? If I do this do I not get a conflict for having to lan cards in one computer? I know the router would be easier but I want to see if I can do this with what I have.

Joemanuel

With a router, you can hook each computer to it, and share one connection.
You can do the same with a hub, but you need to contact your ISP to get a second IP for the other machine.
If you're going to use one as host, then it needs 2 NIC's, and you can do away with the hub, and use a crossover cable between computers, or do as Buckeye suggested, and use normal cables between modem, computer, hub, computer.
You're cheapest option is to do that.
Second cheapest, is to purchase a single port router, and hook it to the modem, the hub to the router, and each computer to the hub.
Two NIC's in one computer isn't difficult, and much easier to set up if they're different brands, so you can tell them apart in networking settings. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Thank you. I'll do the cheapest since I already have the hub. If for some reason the hub is defective (it is not tested) , then I will buy the router. Thaks to all.

Joemanuel

btw - if you use XP's ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) software, you will not need another IP address. As Comtech mentioned - you can connect the machines with a cat5 crossover cable - so if hub is defective, that option is cheapest (until you want more than 2 machines in network).

I find a reasonable reference site for networking.

He wants the cheapest solution, so thus, make sure you manually configure the 2nd PC to point to the host computer as the gateway.

Comtech,

We've got ICS on a 2k Pro 'server' machine, with 6 other PCs connected at home. Had it in place in various guises for over 3 years (sharing dial-up modem connection to start with, now a cable modem). Absolutely NO problems with it at all - so I'm always happy to recommend ICS!

The thing I find with ICS, is that I hate to support it on my customer's machines, because I can guarantee it won't be working when a)I'm sleeping, or b)They need it the most.
Either way, it's a service call I'd rather not make.
ICS also assumes a given amount of expertise, and knowledge of how it works, and how to set it up correctly.
Obviously you've got it, most do not.
I therefore do not recommend ICS for the "average" home user (whoever "average" might be) ;-) Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back