Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How Do I Set Up A "Bat Phone"

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddhaboy02

Technical User
Feb 22, 2010
US
We have two phones, Security and Hospital, in which we would want to configure to only being able to receive calls from one another, but from no one else. I do not know if this is possible or if I explained our situation vividly.

One way would be to set them up with a number and not tell anyone what it is, then set them up as HOT D key so it can only dial the other extension/number. If they are both on the same system, using non-DID numbers would minimise the possibility of external callers accidentally calling the numbers

Both phones are running on two separate switches. One hotline number is at building 1802 and the other is on building 3307. They're both hooked up as "Red" phones but the thing is anyone can call those phone numbers. We want to incorporate something like a "paper cup with string telephone" system where no one but the two phones can call each other.
We have them configured as "make set busy" and "hotline phone". But we have not figured out a way in order to make those two commands co-exist. We’re doing trial and error commands and using helmsman to figure this out to no avail.

Try asking the local telco's for a number outside of your normal DID range at both ends, then set them up as hot lines to call each other. Do not label any number on the phone itself or tell anyone what it is. Also ask the telco to block caller ID at both ends, so the users do not even know what they are.

Can you use a longer DN (5-7 digits) for the hotline DNs?

Use analog or non-display digital phones (ie, 3901) so the number can't be known.

Along the same line: Can a phone be set up to dial an outside number when the handset is picked up without pushing any buttons?

A HOT D would be the way to go. Have both be analog and have them dial each other and only each other. I would make them obscure extensions so they wont be dialed.

Thanks. The more that I learn about this switch the more fun I have with this switch.
That is kinda cool.
Remember when we had rotary dial? Were things easier?

^^^LOL execpt for the sore finger tip! Our kid didn't even know how to use "grandma's" phone when we visited her about 5 years ago....I feel old now. :>(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back