Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set up a Netscreen 5xp to work with PCanywhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackvette

Technical User
Jan 28, 2003
US
I have a work PC behind a Netscreen 5xp firewall. I am on a DSL connection. I need to access this PC from my home computer.. I know I need to set up a PCanywhere service on the netscreen but have no idea how..

Please help...

Go into the WEBUI of the NX5 and click address button. Click the untrusted tab (=external). Choose new address, give it a name and enter the IP of your home PC (or subnet of your ISP if dynamically assigned).OK that and then
go to interface, and select the untrusted tab. Click on mapped IP and create a new record. Enter a public IP number (you need one available for this task), and enter the IP of the internal device as the host. OK that and next select the policy button. Click on the Incoming tab and choose New Policy. Give it a name and select source as your home pc, destination as your Mapped IP device, and service as PCAnywhere. Other settings are optional but it might be worth logging use of the policy to monitor things. At home you will need to try to connect to the public IP number that you assigned to this policy. The Firewall will then route all traffic to the LAN based pc.

Try that and see how you get on.

Mark, I ran into a little problem trying this...

1st of all I have a dynamic IP on my Home PC I am trying to attach from. When I go into the untrusted interface tab and create a mapped IP. I enter the following. Mapped IP address, I put the IP of my work PC as shown in the interface ip. (also shown by and in the host IP address I use the ip address as shown in my work PC (within ipconfig /all)

When I hit enter is says IP address already in use...??
I have never done a config like this..Can you spell it out step by step if I give you all the addresses I use?

Both sites Work and home are Dynamic addresses

I will send you the info via email..
My Email is charlie.bosco@totaltec.com

I just tried this also for something I need and was hoping you found something out. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back